Psalm 86: 11-13 [NIRV]
A prayer of David.
11 Lord, teach me how you want me to live. Do this so that I will depend on you, my faithful God. Give me a heart that doesn’t want anything more than to worship you. 12 Lord my God, I will praise you with all my heart. I will bring glory to you forever. 13 Great is your love for me.
New International Reader’s Version (NIRV) Copyright © 1995, 1996, 1998, 2014 by Biblica, Inc.®. Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Matthew 11:25-30 [NIV]
The Father Revealed in the Son
25 At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. 26 Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.
27 “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” New International Reader’s Version (NIV) Copyright © 1995, 1996, 1998, 2014 by Biblica, Inc.®. Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
- What do you think vs. 27 means?
- What do you think Jesus means by “rest” in vs. 28?
- Reflect on the image of a “yoke”. How does being “yoked” make you feel? Trapped? Relieved? Constricted?
- The second part of vs. 29 is very important – “learn from me”. What would you like to learn from Jesus?
- Do you agree that Christ Followers are called to be “yoked” to others to help them? Why? Use James ch.2 to help you with your reflections.
A THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK
“Is Jesus’ yoke resting lightly on you, or are you struggling to get out from under it? Why? How does taking up his way lead to rest?”