08/08/2018: Resisting Evil | Colleen Stringer
1 John 4:4 Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world.
C.S. Lewis “Screw tape Letters”
There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence: the other is to believe and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them:
“You can’t help birds flying over your head but you can prevent them from building their nest in your hair.”
This true saying conveys the truth that we have been redeemed from the power of sin, the penalty of sin and the inner pollution of sin but because we are still living on this earth we have not been redeemed from the presence of evil.
- Therefore every person will be tempted. Hebrews 4:15
- The good news is that such temptation through submitting to the power of God can be resisted and overcome. He has been defeated and we need to reinforce his defeat in our lives. Ephesians 6:10-20\ 1Peter 5:8-11
James 4:7 therefore submits to God. Resist the Devil and he will flee from you.
- SIN ENTERED THE WORLD. Gen. C1-3
- The first mention of the serpent (evil) sin entering the world is in Genesis 3
- The serpent was more crafty (cunning, artful) than any of the wild animals the Lord had made
- John 10:10 Steal, kill and destroy-mission not changed. He wants to kill, steal and destroy the image of God in You. Gen 1:26-27
- Battle ground is in the mind and the ammunition He uses is the same as in Gen.3 doubt: Renew mind. Romans 12:2 Sound mind.
- THE ROOT OF EVIL-THE DEVIL
2.1 The devil-a fallen angel Isaiah 14:12-15: Ezekiel 28:12-16 Ezekiel 28:15
2.2 JESUS’ ENCOUNTER WITH THE DEVIL Matthew 4:1-11
Luke 4 Temptation of Christ
Purse—love of money possessions
Petticoat—lusts of the flesh
Sharp sword: Hebrews 4:12 is our weapon of mass destruction.
2.3 PAUL’S TEACHING ON THE DEVIL EPHESIANS 6:12
For our battle\struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world, and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
2.4 PETER’S COMMENT ON THE DEVIL: 1 PETER 5: 8 (LB)
Be careful-watch out for attacks from Satan, your great enemy. He prowls around like a hungry, roaring lion, looking for some victim to tear apart
Worst case scenario-Demon Possession-Mark 5:1-20
- HOW THE DEVIL OPERATES:
3.1 TO STEAL, KILL, AND DESTROY
The thief comes only to steal, kill, and destroy…I have come that they may have life and have it to the full. (Abundant more abundantly)
3.2 BLIND EYES:
2 CORINTHIANS 4.4 (LB)
Satan who is God of this evil world has made him blind, unable to see the glorious light of the gospel that is shining upon him, or to understand the amazing message we preach about the glory of Christ, who is God.
Stone blind to the dayspring brightness of the message that shines with Christ, who gives us the best picture of God we will ever get
3.3 DISGUISES HIMSELF AS AN ANGEL OF LIGHT: DISCERNMENT.
2 CORINTHIANS 11:14
And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light
- S. Lewis “The Great Divorce” Red Lizard (evil) in an attempt to persuade the man not to destroy him promises “I’ll be so good…I’ll give you nothing but really nice dreams, all sweet and fresh and almost innocent”. Judas
3.4 USES DEVIOUS MEANS TO GUIDE AND CONTROL US
V10 let no one be found among you who…list…Consults the dead…crossing over!
V13 you must be blameless before the Lord your God (Saul)
Christians walk by faith and not to get involved in the counterfeits of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. 1 Cor. C12-14: DISCERNMENT is part of the Lords prayer.
- HOW TO DEAL WITH YOUR ENEMY, THE DEVIL:
4.1 PUT ON THE WHOLE ARMOUR OF GOD: EPHESIANS 6:13-17
– Stand fully covered even if you do not understand
4.2 USE SCRIPTURE TO COMBAT THE DEVIL: MATTHEW 4:11
– Renew mind-Romans 12:2
4.3 WATCH AND PRAY: MATTHEW 26:41
Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing but the body is weak.
- Romans 8:37 We are more than conquerors through Him who loved us
4.4 BE FIRM AND RESIST HIM 1 PETER 5: 8-11 as a roaring lion
- SOME COMMON MISUNDERSTANDINGS:
5.1 TO BE TEMPTED IS TO SIN.
– Temptation is not a sin, but entertaining that temptation will lead to sin.
Hebrews 4:15 (KJ) …But was in all points tempted as we are but without sin.
2 Corinthian 10:5 …take every thought captive
5.2 Does THE DEVIL GIVES UP ONCE WE ARE CHRISTIANS?
-The devil never gives up.
1 Peter 5:8 walks around like a roaring lion
Luke 4:13 When the devil had finished all this tempting he left Him for an opportune time
5.3 THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT.
-Most cases of doing evil is a result of the choices we make.\child victims
Known as the Bruises of Satan…James 1:14-15
5.4 CONSENTRATE ON OVERCOMING THE TEMPTATION
– You do not overcome the temptation by thinking about it. Deal with it in the power of Christ the moment you encounter the occasion. Diet-think about food.
For since he Himself has now been through suffering and temptation, He knows what it is like when we suffer and are tempted, and he is wonderfully able to help us.
1 Corinthians 10; 12-13 (message)
No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that god will never let you down: He will never let you be pushed past your limit; He will always be there to help you come through.
Be continually filled with the Holy Spirit-Develop God confidence-Faith\Trust
Do not drink too much wine, for many evils lie on that path; be filled instead with the Holy Spirit and controlled by Him.
1 John 4:4 God Confidence
“Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world”