CALL TO WORSHIP[i]: Psalm 34
1 I will extol the Lord at all times;
his praise will always be on my lips.
2 I will glory in the Lord;
let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
3 Glorify the Lord with me;
let us exalt his name together.
4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me;
he delivered me from all my fears.
5 Those who look to him are radiant;
their faces are never covered with shame.
6 This poor man called, and the Lord heard him;
he saved him out of all his troubles.
7 The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him,
and he delivers them.
8 Taste and see that the Lord is good;
blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
25 Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbour, for we are all members of one body. 26 “In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 and do not give the devil a foothold. 28 Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need.
29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
5 1 Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children 2 and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
When a person is “born again” it is as if God has hit the “reset button” for their life. Once they lived far away from God, but God has now intervened in their life through Jesus and rescued them; a new life shaped by faith in Jesus is the gift they have been given. In our reading this week the Apostle Paul gives specific, and practical instructions, and words of encouragement to Christ Followers to help them live as Christians!
- Make a list of the instructions for Christian living you can identify:
(vs. 26) __________________________________________________________________
(vs. 27) __________________________________________________________________
(vs. 28) __________________________________________________________________
(vs. 29) __________________________________________________________________
(vs. 30) __________________________________________________________________
(vs. 31) __________________________________________________________________
- Make a list of the words of encouragement Paul offers:
(vs. 32) ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- Whose example are we to follow (5:1)? ________________________________________
- What impact might this way of living have in your life, and in the life of your church and community? ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A quote for the week:
“It has been said that everyone has three lives – a public life, a private life and a secret life. Holiness is about living an integrated life, rather than a dis-integrated one. Holiness is where there is no difference between our public, private and secret lives and no difference between what we profess and what we practice. Holiness is linked to wholeness. When God calls you to be holy, he is saying ‘be wholly mine’.”
[Nicky Gumble: http://www.bibleinoneyear.org/bioy/commentary/2990]
God bless you this week,
[i] All Bible Readings from: New International Version (NIV)
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
OUR PLACE IN SPACE
Search Our Site
- Communique from Presiding Bishop Rev Purity Malinga – Covid-19March 27, 2020 - 11:22 am
- Corona Virus Response – going forwardMarch 16, 2020 - 12:38 pm
- CONFERENCE ADDRESS 2019 PRESIDING BISHOP- ELECT: REV PURITY MALINGA.September 16, 2019 - 10:38 am
- CONNEXION CALLED TO COME TOGETHER IN A LAMENT PROTESTSeptember 12, 2019 - 8:22 am