Call to worship:
Psalm 149: 1-6 NIV
Praise the Lord
Sing to the Lord a new song,
His praise in the assembly of the saints.
Let Israel rejoice in their Maker; let the people of Zion be glad in their King.
Let them praise His name with dancing
And make music to Him with the tambourine and harp.
For the Lord takes delight in His people;
He crowns the humble with salvation.
Let the saints rejoice in this honour
and sing for joy on their beds.
May the praise of God be in their mouths
and a double-edged sword in their hands.
Zephaniah 3:17 “The Lord your God is in the midst of you, a Mighty One, a Saviour (Who saves)! He will rejoice over you with joy; He will rest in silent satisfaction and in His love, He will be silent and make no mention on past sins or even recall them. He will exult over you with singing.” AMP
John 15:9-11 “As the Father has loved Me, so I have loved you. Now remain in My love. If you obey My commandments you will remain in My love, just as I have obeyed My Father’s commands and remain in His love. I have told you this so My joy may be in you and your joy may be full. “NIV
2 Cor 8:2 “For even during a season of severe difficulty and tremendous suffering, they became even more filled with joy. From the depths of their extreme poverty super abundant joy overflowed into an act of extravagant generosity.” TPT
Psalm 51 :12 “Restore to me the joy of your salvation and restore a right spirit within me” NIV
A story is told of a man who saved to go on a three week this cruise. He bought his ticket and boarded the ship and went to his cabin. He had taken with him cheese, crackers, bottled water and apples, nuts and raisins for the trip. Each day he would walk on the deck and gaze longingly at the other passengers feasting on the sumptuous food and then return to his cabin and eat his crackers and cheese. At the end of the voyage as he disembarked the captain who was greeting all the passengers, said “Sir, how come I never saw you in the dining room?” The man replied that he couldn’t afford to go to the dining room. “Oh no “said the captain, “the meals in the dining room were included in your ticket.”
Don’t be robbed of all Jesus has for you. His salvation is all inclusive
- Give some examples of what joy is NOT. In your experience what do people understand by the word joy?
- If you agree that true joy comes from the Lord, give some examples of the joy of the Lord. If you have a concordance look up joy and do a word study on it. If you don’t have a concordance use google.
- What do you think steals your joy? Think of some examples of joy robbing attitudes or beliefs. Are there thought patterns or attitudes you could change?
4. An ongoing daily relationship with Jesus is essential for the fruit of joy to grow in your life. How do you know that to be true?
- Commit to seeking God diligently and setting time aside for prayer and bible reading. Write down what He says to you Have an adventure with a new attitude and new joy. Share it with someone else.
6 Let joy fly like a flag from the castle of your heart.