Call to Worship: Psalm 33:1-5, 20-22
1 Sing joyfully to the Lord, you righteous;
it is fitting for the upright to praise him.
2 Praise the Lord with the harp;
make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre.
3 Sing to him a new song;
play skillfully, and shout for joy.
4 For the word of the Lord is right and true;
he is faithful in all he does.
5 The Lord loves righteousness and justice;
the earth is full of his unfailing love.
20 We wait in hope for the Lord;
he is our help and our shield.
21 In him our hearts rejoice,
for we trust in his holy name.
22 May your unfailing love be with us, Lord,
even as we put our hope in you.
New International Version (NIV)
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Luke 19: 1-10
Zacchaeus the Tax Collector
1 Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through. 2 A man was there by the name of Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector and was wealthy. 3 He wanted to see who Jesus was, but because he was short he could not see over the crowd. 4 So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to see him, since Jesus was coming that way.
5 When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, “Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.” 6 So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.
7 All the people saw this and began to mutter, “He has gone to be the guest of a sinner.”
8 But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.”
9 Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”
New International Version (NIV) Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
10 Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin… ‘
(The seven lamps represent the eyes of the Lord that search all around the world.)
New Living Translation (NLT) Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
• Quote: Thomas Fuller: “One that would have the fruit must climb the tree.”
1. Have you ever climbed a tree? ______________________________________________________________
2. What can you “see” in your life at the moment? _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
3. Who was Zacchaeus? What was his life like? Do you think he was liked and respected by his community? ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
4. Do you think Zacchaeus needed a new perspective in his life? __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
5. Do you need a new perspective in your life? Do you need to see things differently? ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
6. Jesus saw Zacchaeus in the tree, why is that an important factor to consider? _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
7. If you were at a dinner party with Jesus, as Zacchaeus was, what would your dinner conversation with Jesus be? _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________