Connect Group Study Notes: 24 April 2022
Theme: We are Witnesses.
Readings: Psalm 150 and Acts 5:27-32
Fellowship (10 min)
Begin with general conversation and sharing about how the past week has gone. Try not to go over time.
Worship and Prayer (15 min)
Click on the link below on your smartphone, Smart TV, or computer, to select songs to sing; and then spend a few minutes in song and prayer.
PLETT METHODIST YOU TUBE CHANNEL SONG’S PLAYLIST: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbsAkwbV_S1vXdZVPkZ0_tQW5n9RqeZX0
And if you need to check on the Message for the week again, then click on:
PLETT METHODIST YOU TUBE CHANNEL (MESSAGE): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1X4YYw1KLpda1yGnqKgfw/videos
This time of worship and prayer will encourage you to move your thoughts from daily worries and pressures to our time of Bible study and prayer.
Our scripture reading today happens after Jesus has ascended into heaven and the church has just begun its mission to make disciples of Jesus Christ. Peter and the others had been arrested for preaching in Jesus’ name, released, and have now been arrested again.
Read: Acts 5:27-32
Discussion Questions (Approx. 30 min)
- Imagine the scene we just read. Peter and the other apostles have been arrested a second time for preaching. They have been brought before the Sanhedrin (the Jewish court) to answer for what they’ve done.
- What do you think the apostles were feeling or thinking?
- How would you have felt if you were in trouble for doing something that you knew was the right thing to do?
- What do you think you would have done next after they told you again not to teach people about Jesus?
- How do you respond to authority? Willingly submit? Rebel? Disgustingly obey? Other?
- What is the difference between the proper exercise of authority and authoritarianism?
- Who or what do you allow to have authority in your life?
- How are Peter and the other apostles allowing God to speak more authoritatively than the Sanhedrin (and high priest)? (Verse 29)
- How are Peter and the other apostles witnesses with more than just the words they say? How does being a witness define their life?
- How might the Holy Spirit also being a witness enable the courage and witness of Peter and the other apostles?
Faith Building – to think about this week:
How might you explain to someone who is unfamiliar with Christianity that you are a witness?
Prayer (10 min). Share prayer requests and then pray together.
Sending Prayer (2 min). End by praying the following or a similar prayer:
God of Empowerment, we give you thanks that you do not leave us alone but are constantly at work in the hearts and minds of all people, drawing them closer in relationship to you. We are witnesses of your grace and truth. More than that, we are not alone. You go before us. Guide us to where you are leading. Amen.
Have a great week.
With grateful thanks and acknowledgment to: https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/…. -small-groups